IN THEIR FOOTSTEPS brings young people together to learn and draw inspiration from the stories, lessons, and contributions of past generations.
Since 2017, we have collaborated with schools and educational organizations to engage students in learning about how their communities are connected to global history, and to make connections with overseas communities that share these experiences.
In particular, we explore history through the stories of men and women of the World War I and World War II generations who grew up in the U.S., then served and died in Europe. These individual stories provide a common thread between U.S. communities and their overseas counterparts.
- Deepen knowledge of 20th century history and its impact on our modern world
- Enhance relevance of classroom curricula by contextualizing major events and trends in relation to local history and individual stories
- Develop personal connections to and appreciation for past generations
- Spotlight inspirational lessons about hope, resilience, courage and service
- Establish common ground between youth from different backgrounds by connecting them to their shared past
- Create an awareness of and appreciation for international communities
- Provide opportunities to exercise foreign language skills
* * * *